Monday, January 7, 2013

A New Year Project

One of my Square One Projects this year will be to read a list of Classics. Spent a good deal of time online finding various lists and have now officially compiled my own. I have not read any of these except for the Little House Series which I am reading again because I have a grand-daughter and this is a series I would love to read with her. Why am I choosing to read more classic books this year? I had a variety of reasons: one, to much rubbish out there and wanted to read somethings that are well written. second, I hope to improve my vocabulary and educate myself a bit and thirdly, would like to get some new ideas and think this will help me with my writing. These authors have withstood the test of time, either because of their writing abilities or because of the the ideas they had. Enough of the rambling here is my final list. Please join me in reading some of the classics listed or feel free to share your own reading lists for the year.
Brave New World - Aldous Huxley
The Catcher in the Rye- J.D. Salinger
Crime and Punishment -Fyodor Dostoyevsky.
Ethan Frome- Edith Wharton
The Good Earth-Pearl S. Buck
The Grapes of Wrath-John Steinbeck
The Great Gatsby- F. Scott Fitzgerald
My Antonia-Willa Cather
A Separate Peace- John Knowles
Tess of the D'Urbervilles-Thomas Hardy
To Kill a Mocking Bird-Harper Lee
Uncle Tom's Cabin- Harriet Beecher Stowe
Winesburg, Ohio-Sherwood Anderson
Atlas Shrugged-Ayn Rand
Anna Karenina-Leo Tolstoy
Les Miserables-Victor hugo
Middlemarch -George Eliot
The Last of the Mohicans-James Fenimore Cooper
The Fountainhead- Ayn Rand
Lady Audley's Secret -Mary Elizabeth Brandon
The Return of the Native-Thomas Hardy
The Jungle-Upton Sinclair
Housekeeping: Marilynne Robinson
Walden-Henry David Thoreau
The Age of Innocence - Edith Wharton
An Old-Fashioned Girl- Louisa May Alcott
The Cricket on the Hearth-Charles Dickens
Daniel Deronda- George Eliot
The Mill on the Floss-George Eliot

Mary Barton- Elizabeth Gaskell
Ruth - Elizabeth Gaskell
North and South -Elizabeth Gaskell
Wives and Daughters- Elizabeth Gaskell
East Lynne Ellen Wood
Little House in the Big Woods - Laura Ingalls Wilder
Farmer Boy- Laura Ingalls Wilder
Little House on the Prairie - Laura Ingalls Wilder
On the Banks of Plum Creek -Laura Ingalls Wilder
The Long Winter - Laura Ingalls Wilder
Little Town on the Prairie - Laura Ingalls Wilder
These Happy Golden Years - Laura Ingalls Wilder
On the Way Home - Laura Ingalls Wilder
The First Four Years - Laura Ingalls Wilder
West from Home -Laura Ingalls Wilder

No comments:

Post a Comment